About This Event
VENDORS MUST HAVE ASIAN RELATED ACTIVITY, THEME, DECOR OR SOME OTHER TIE-IN TO ASIAN CULTURE. The Asian Festival is a hugely successful one day event that builds bridges within the Asian community and presents a unique and educational event to the community at large. It celebrates the Chinese New Year and the many Asian cultures of Texas.
• Asian Festival blends together local Asian communities to create a fun educational event.
• A large portion of proceeds from the Asian Festival go to participating ethnic groups, organizations and communities to benefit their projects and programs.
• The festival features groups and individuals who participate as performers, chefs, artists, and educators to engage our visitors.
• Authentic Asian American foods, offering Japanese, Korean, Thai, Laotian, Philippine and other delectable cuisines.
• Traditional Asian dance and musical performances on three separate stages; multicultural demonstrations of cooking, henna painting and palm reading; and craft sales including clothing, artworks, dolls, silk items and other gifts.
• In 2015 we hosted over 11,000 visitors with 95 groups and individuals participating.
• A large portion of proceeds (over $80,000.00 in 2015) from the Asian Festival go to participating ethnic groups, organizations and communities to benefit their projects and programs.
In 2017, nearly 11,000 guests of varying ages, socioeconomic backgrounds and ethnicity attended the Festival. A recent on-site visitor survey showed the following demographics:
Female/Male Gender Split60 %40 %
Vendors should have an Asian theme, asian decor or some connection to Asian culture or community.
Event Terms and Cancellation Policy
No refunds. Payment in full reserves your space.
• Sampling, promotional displays and activities must have some connection to Asian culture.
• Sales of any kind are not allowed during the event or on University property unless prior agreements have been made.
• Payment in full reserves your space.
• Festival Management shall assign location of “sampling”, “promotional display” and “activities” booths.
• Festival Management reserves the right to approve sample sizes on a case-by-case basis in writing prior to the event.
• There is no product exclusivity on site; however, we will try to avoid placing competitive products in the same area.
• Due to the nature of our event, food sampling may not be possible if it competes directly or indirectly with food vendors. Each request will be evaluated with regard to product, distribution method, serving size, etc.
• Festival Management shall determine the number and type of “samplings” and “promotional displays” invited to participate.
• All sampling activities must be contained within the booth space allotted unless Roaming Rights are specified and other arrangements are requested and approved in writing prior to the event.
• Vendors’ employees/agents conducting the “sampling” and “promotional displays” must comply with Festival rules related to the use of admission wristbands and parking passes.
• No on-site parking is available for the personal vehicles of vendors’ employees/agents.
• “Sampling” and “promotional displays” personnel will adhere to standards of good conduct and proper attire. Festival Management reserves the right to enforce such standards.
• “Sampling” and “promotional displays” personnel are prohibited from consuming alcoholic beverages while on duty.
Festival Management will provide:
• Space on site.
• Electrical hook-up. Includes one (1) 20-amp circuit with duplex plug. Additional power must be approved in advance and a fee of $50.00 will be assessed for each additional plug. (Note: 220-amp is not available in all locations.)
• On-site contact information.
• Credentials for admission. Festival Management will issue all passes.
• Parking for one (1) vehicle. If storage vehicle is for refrigerated product, we require that it be self-contained (powered by diesel fuel). If electrical hook-up is provided, a fee of $50.00 will be assessed.
• Set-up time schedule.
Sampler/On-Site Display shall:
• Have commercial general liability and product liability coverage while participating in the Asian Festival. Further, the Institute of Texan Cultures must be included as one of the named insured.
• Provide Festival Management with a certificate of insurance three (3) weeks prior to the event.
• Coordinate the arrival of booth equipment with Festival Management.
• Complete set-up and have booth operational at least one hour before opening on each of the approved on-site days.
• Coordinate product deliveries to the site with Festival Management.
• Provide tent in approved size (determined by fees paid).
• Obtain Festival Management approval on all booth signs before they are displayed.
• Provide all products including cups, napkins and other items needed for sampling.
• Obtain Festival Management approval for the distribution of coupons to the general public at least three (3) weeks prior to the event.
• Obtain any health permits that might be necessary, and comply with all health and safety requirements mandated by the City of San Antonio.
• All booths are subject to fire and safety inspections and must comply with UTSA guidelines.
**UTSA Risk Management staff will conduct inspections.